Initiated by the CW4WAfghan Kingston Chapter
The Shafia/Mohammad Memorial Education Grant Fund for Afghan Girls and Women
In Remembrance and in Creation of a Legacy
Rona Amir Mohammad
We invite donations to this fund enabling deserving Afghan girls and young women in Afghanistan to be eligible for grants up to $650 to assist with their education. Click to donate and select Shafia Fund from the drop down menu, or write “Shafia Fund: in the memo line of your cheque or online donation.
“To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.”
The Shafia/Mohammad Memorial Education Fund for Afghan Women and Girls was established in memory of three young sisters (Zainab Shafia, age 19, Sahar Shafia, age 17, and Geeti Safia, age 13) and Rona Amir Mohammed, who were all murdered on June 30, 2009 in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.
The funds support female education, providing small grants to cover students’ education expenses. Donations to the fund were initially raised by members of the Kingston community as a way to honour the memories of these women, to draw attention to the devastating impact of violence against women, and to leave a modest but positive legacy in the wake of a tragedy.
Due to the success of this fund, CW4WAfghan adopted the scholarship fund as a permanent program, administered under our Grants program. We welcome donations that support more young women to become Shafia Fund scholars, and pursue their education thanks to this Fund.
- The Fund supports Afghan women’s or girls’ access to education.
- Selected nominees may receive a grant of up to 47,000 Afs.
- Grants are to support study in Afghanistan and study of Afghans in the region. eligible.
- Grants may be used for study in any accredited educational institution at any level: primary, secondary or tertiary, including university, college or vocational.
- Grants may be used to cover direct education costs, not limited to the following: tuition and fees, books and materials, specialized equipment or supplies (such as laboratory materials or tools), transportation costs, research, uniforms, computer or computer peripherals, or transportation.
- Institutions receiving tuition proceeds from a Shafia Fund award are required to attest that no portion of the proceeds will be used towards payment of taxes or other amounts payable to the Government of Afghanistan.
Submit your completed application to Scholarships@cw4wafghan.ca. Only applications submitted to this email address will be reviewed.