The Shafia Fund
The Shafia/Mohammad Memorial Education Fund for Afghan Women and Girls is a fund established in memory of three young sisters (Zainab Shafia, age 19, Sahar Shafia, age 17, and Geeti Safia, age 13) and Rona Amir Mohammed, who were all murdered on June 30, 2009 in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. The funds are used to support female education through providing small grants to students to cover some of their education expenses. Donations to the fund have been contributed by members of the Kingston community as a way to honour the memories of these women, to draw attention to the devastating impact of violence against women, and to leave a modest but positive legacy in the wake of a tragedy.
Due to the success of this fund, we are extending the program and welcome donations from all of our chapters, members and supporters.
· The Fund has been established to support women’s or girls’ access to education in Afghanistan.
· Selected nominees may receive a grant of up to 25,000 Afs.
· Grants are to support study in Afghanistan. Study outside of the country is not eligible.
· Grants may be used for study in any accredited educational institution at any level: primary, secondary or tertiary, including university, college or vocational.
· Grants may be used to cover direct education costs, not limited to the following: tuition and fees, books and materials, specialized equipment or supplies (such as laboratory materials or tools), transportation costs, research, uniforms, computer or computer peripherals, or transportation.
Download the nomination form below.